27 June 2014

Stavanger, Day 3

Hei!

Today in Norway: A late morning! Funny how I continue to mention that… I did not realize how much traveling wears you out. I was ready to go home after the first week! Of course the benefits outweigh the tiredness, but it’s nice to stay with friends in a low-pressure environment. We do what we feel like and ignore what we don’t. :)

While here, Jennifer has been wonderful in the food department, providing for my specific dietary choices. She even bought me gluten free knekkebrod, a Norwegian speciality. It’s basically like a flatbread or cracker with a bunch of seeds. It is very good! I’m thankful to be able to taste regional cuisine.


After lunch, we took the bus to a farm from the Iron Age. To get there, we had to climb over a fence. Thankfully, there was a ladder!


Apparently, you are allowed to walk through other people's land in Norway, as long as you don't damage the property. Isn't that cool?!


Us walking to the farm.

Sheep graze the open land, and three historically accurate buildings lie on the land. This farm housed the forefathers of the Vikings just a few hundred years after Christ. 


No, not that tall one in the background...




The inside of the "longhouse." Notice all of the sheep and reindeer skins.


Here, our guide showed us how to make a fire, using flint and dried birch. 



A loom like those used in the Iron Age. They wove wool yarn made from their sheep.


Blue fabric symbolized a high social status. This is because there was a very intense process to create it- using urine. The best urine was that of slightly intoxicated men. They would collect all of the male urine after banquets and let it ferment for a week. Then they put a certain plant in the urine and let it keep fermenting for a week. The mixture was brown and gross. They dipped the cloth in it and washed garment- a lot! This is how you create blue fabric. I do not want that job!!


How to grind barley into flour.

The sheep are very timid and run away when you come near-- even when walking slowly! I really wanted to pet one, but they wouldn't let me. However, one sheep did. It was very soft. 



"Let me eat my grass in peace!"


We climbed a tall hill on the property. You can vaguely see the fjords in the background. 




There was a lot of wind!

With our tickets to the farm, we received free admission to the Archaeological Museum.



















































Did I scare you? :)

We went to a Viking exhibition. It was very interesting. We were able to see real skeletons and glass beads/broaches that were buried with the people.

Of course I needed to practice. Listen to this clip:



Psych! The first part of this was an ancient Norse instrument called a lure that we found in the museum. The second part was "Orchestra fail"... Sorry for the goofiness, but you have to have fun on vacation! ;)


Norse lure

Music is in every society!

For dinner, we tried to eat at an Ethiopian restaurant, but they were closed for holiday, so we ate Turkish food instead (falafel for me). Of course, there's always room for dessert, so we drove farther downtown for ice cream/sorbet. The town was buzzing.

We were able to see the inside of the church I mentioned yesterday:


(Some random ladies placing prayer candles down.)

There were also some quirky things about downtown Stavanger. 

Here's one:


What is it? Does anyone know? Are they fairy stairs? Nope. They are stairs for ducks and swans to wander from the fjord onto the land. How thoughtful! :)

And this:


I happened to find Aung San Suu Kyi's footprints in the ground. Out of all people! She is one of my favorite people and has been very beneficial for her homeland. If you don't know about her, you should look her up! What a valiant woman!

Last of all, this:


There is a slackline in downtown Stavanger! I love this sport, but I have never been given the opportunity to try. This is the picture of my first step...

And this is a picture of my third step.


Not so successful... I have "mad respect" for slackliners. It takes a lot of skill and practice.

Our day has ended now after packing and waiting on all of these pictures to load! Tomorrow we head to Oslo on an 8 hour train ride. There probably won't be much to say tomorrow, so

Until Sunday!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment