21 June 2014

London, Day 4

Hello, hello!

Today was particularly enjoyable because of the day's relevance to my passion: music.

We began with a tour of Royal Albert Hall, home of the Proms every summer (basically a marathon Classical music concert). This is a performing venue used by hundreds of the world's most famous celebrities and musicians, including Frank Sinatra and Sir Simon Rattle. We were able to see all parts of the hall, including HMT Queen's box and retiring room. :) Here's a picture:


After this, we walked to the monument memorializing Prince Albert, after whom the hall was named. He actually created the concept of building a culture center within London. The monument cost much more than the entire Royal Albert Hall and took twice as long to build! Why? It's made of gold, instead of terra-cotta and brick.


Next, came a very important leg of the trip: A visit to Handel's house! Yes, that's right, folks. I had the pleasure of visiting the very room where The Messiah was written. I was very upset that they did not let us take pictures, but the tour was amazing! I had the pleasure of viewing a hand-written draft of "He Was Despised", among a few other pieces. I also learned the inner workings of a harpsichord and was able to see a very intricately painted reproduction of the instrument on which Handel played. At the end, a very knowledgable woman presented a talk on the lives of certain English singers of Handel's day. And people thought American celebrities personified scandal. Sheesh... 

Of course, it's important to mention dinner! I didn't detail lunch, because it was an only-slightly-above-average burrito. For dinner, I returned back to Tibits. I really can't keep myself away! This time, I only paid 4.5 pounds for much of the same food from the other day, except this time I ate a lovely quinoa salad, more country potatoes than before (so good!), pineapple, delicious chocolate pudding, and an amazing sponge cake. I didn't even know sponge cake was good. It sounds horrible, but it was absolutely incredible! I admit to buying two flavors of Italian sorbet later: strawberry and coconut. Mmm. 

But the day ended a little differently than expected; Dad and I bought tickets to Wicked, knowing the music was phenomenal, but we left at intermission. The plot offended the integrity I hold dear, since it was so heavily entrenched in sorcery. I have to be honest: I was hesitant to leave after spending all of that money. Sure, they were cheap compared to most of the other tickets, but I paid a pretty penny of my hard-earned money for a seat that remains empty as we speak. Is it worth it? 

Of course. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as a tourist in this city, but I just cannot travel without knowing my divine purpose: to spread the news about the Love that first loved me--the Love that has forgiven me for every sin, replacing my mourning with sorrow and my apprehension with peace. He is teaching me to obey Him without questioning (Philippians 2:14). As a result, I sense the spiritual oppression that blankets this city. Hurt runs rampant, begetting hurt. These people need to know the one true Savior, not because I'm boasting some insensitive propaganda, but because I have seen in my own life the difference it makes to trust the Lord. 

Sure, I can travel for fun. God is not against fun at all! But there's a deeper purpose here. I'm asking you all to pray for me to have wisdom in my journey. Please pray that I may be clothed in confidence and not question the nudges of the Holy Spirit. But even more so, pray for the people of London, that they may see Truth and experience freedom. 

Until tomorrow!
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment