23 June 2014

London, Day 6

Hello out there!

Today started with me sleeping an hour later than normal (yay!). After granola for breakfast, we visited the Victoria and Albert museum, which is a free museum with a huge variety of exhibits. We saw everything from sculptures to sixteenth century Asian tile work. It was quite fascinating!


Asian, carved wooden spoon


Carved Pillar


Glasswork in the entryway 


The horse used to produce the movie War Horse


The costumes for the Lion King on Broadway


Playbill advertising an opera about Jerry Springer...

After our visit to the V&A museum, Dad and I loaded up on cash and headed back to that ginormous stable market that I mentioned yesterday. Thankfully, although crowded, significantly less people filled the narrow streets.

The subway ride to get there was relatively long, compared to our usual stops, and I was basically falling asleep. Dad said I needed caffein; I said I needed food. ;) We stumbled upon a vegan cafe across from the market. (I wish this happened in America...). I ate a scrumptious olive ciabatta sandwich stuffed with leafy greens, cashew cheese, vegan pesto, cherry tomatoes, and sun-dried tomatoes. Later, I came back for raw vanilla berry cheesecake.

We proceeded to shop for souvenirs. I bought a British hat: For all you Columbus people, prepare to see me wearing it around Schwob! I also bought a really nice scarf for 2.99 pounds, which is a fantastic price! I bought a similar one in a thrift store a few years ago for 2 dollars, which was an unbelievable steal. I was quite satisfied with this find.

When we returned to the vegan cafe for my cheesecake, a Lebanese-turned British woman asked to sit at our table so she could see the view overlooking a canal. We had a lovely conversation about traveling and music and America. Traveling can be so lonely, so it was nice to interact with people outside our entourage of two.

We returned to the room, where I surfed the world-wide-web and practice my horn for a bit. (Actually, most of my practicing happened on the subway today. Mental practicing at its finest!). You'll never guess where we ate dinner--

Chipotle!

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, Chipotle is just as good in England as it is Columbus, GA. Not to mention that the prices are exactly the same, except the monetary unit is pounds instead of dollars. So it was actually cheaper here than back home!

As exciting as raw cheesecake, British hats, and Chipotle are, there was one momentous event that trumps them all!

Drumroll, please.

prrrrrrrrrrrrrrr--





Les Mis at the Queen's Theatre! (Ok. I am having way too much fun with this blog...) After playing Les Mis for over a month, I was curious how this experience would be. Of course, you cannot see anything from the pit, so the perspective is totally different. I didn't realize how much of the plot I did not know.

Stage production at the Queen's Theatre is absolutely top-notch. The set utilized a revolving floor, which added some really neat effects, as people walked against it. Also, the sound guys thought about the acoustics of the given environment and reciprocated them! For example, the sewer scene boasted an extreme echo. Also, the lighting guys used lights to add depth and detail to the set. For example, they had these lights that looked like windows that they would project onto the wall, but they would also project a similar image onto the ground,  portraying the light streaming through the window and onto the ground. The production team utilized all five senses, leaving no detail forgotten.


Only one day remains on our London stint. Tomorrow will be more laid back, but interesting, I'm sure!

Oh. I almost forgot.

Mad kitty:

Until tomorrow!
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment