24 June 2014

London, Day 7!

Today was really random. If we felt like doing something, we did! Starting with a tube ride to Buckingham Palace. Unfortunately, no tours occur this time of year, as the Queen is living there. However, the changing of the guards occurs every day at 11:30 am. We arrive over an hour early, and there were people lining the gate to the palace. By 11:00 am, I could barely move! I ended up standing next to a Jewish woman, which made me smile. :) I tried to talk to her, but she didn't speak English. I said, "Are you Jewish?". (She was reading the Torah and mouthing the words.) I pointed to the Scriptures, and she nodded. I greeted her with Shalom, and she answered back. I delight in interacting with God's holy people.

Finally, things started buzzing as soldiers rode by on horseback, followed by a "marching band", complete with marching horns and bassoons. Here's a picture I accidentally took:


Honestly, I couldn't see much. The guards were changed with much shouting of marching orders and military movement. The highlight was the mini-concert that the band gave afterwards. Jazz at the Palace! I found that surprising...


Afterwards, Dad and I went to a cupcake place that I have been begging to visit for the past week. It was ok. I haven't had that much sugar in a very long time! Of course, we needed lunch. Guess where I went?

Tibits. For the third time. I can't stay away! Their veggie meatballs with ratatouille were delicious! And, of course I had to pile on the country potatoes. I also ate some mango strawberry whip. Quite good.

While I usually shop at thrift stores, I figured I should at least shop once. After seeing an ad for dresses for 7.99 pounds at H & M, I went there. This was a very good decision! I bought a concert black shirt and cardigan for a total of 9 pounds (around $15). Fun fact: While we didn't shop here, we passed T. K. Maxx. I wonder why they changed the name?


That guy is wondering the same thing.

What followed was a rather uneventful souvenir hunt, including raw, organic, cold pressed juice and dark chocolate sorbet. Yum!

Rather than boring you with the shopping details, I figured I would show you some random things we found throughout the city:




"No one will steal my bike now!"


This is an ad for an expensive coffee machine, using music for marketing. I found it quite clever. The catchline was, "Savour the long notes of a more intense Lungo Grand Cru."



A street performer. You can't really tell by looking at the picture, but he is suspended in mid-air and stays there for hours! I have no idea how...


Does this even need a comment?


This is a really awesome bridge we found on a side street. Check out the dedication plaque below:




This famous ballet school sits next to the Royal Opera House:



London side streets are often decorated. Check out these giant hula hoops! 


Lush flowers. :)


This is the entry to our hotel. It took us a while to figure this out...


And here's our tiny, un-airconditioned room. The community shower is even smaller!


The past week in London has been incredible! We have been able to view some of the world's most famous sights and eat some of the world's greatest food. I will miss this city and all of the cultural curiosities found here, but I am ready to enter a new country of opportunity. 


Ciao, London!

See y'all in Norway!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment