20 June 2014

London, Day 3

I sit in a 9X9 hotel room with city noises drifting through an open window and crumbs of a gluten free scone on my chin. Today was pleasant and much different from yesterday! We began at the Jewel Tower at 10 am sharp. The tour through the tower was interesting, to say the least. It basically consisted of two sparsely decorated floors and a very steep spiral staircase. We left from there to a river cruise on the River Thames. I enjoyed this part of the day. :) Glory in the pictures:




The Glass Shard, tallest building in Europe.

Shakespeare's Globe Theatre

 A pretty building... I don't remember what it is.

A really awesome modern bridge

We disembarked from our boat ride at the Tower of London, where we were journeyed through the outlying wall. Most of all, we were able to see the Crown Jewels! Amazing. I didn't realize it was possible to excavate diamonds of that size.


Ancient carvings in the outside wall

A marching band passed through the grounds. (They had marching horns!! I should have checked out which horns they played, but I didn't get a chance.) Check it out:


The Tower of London is huge. We were exhausted at this point, even after skipping some of the exhibits there. Nevertheless, we stood near the Tower Bridge, so we decided to tour it. Other than the pretty view and some random information, there's not much to say about it. When I say random, I mean random. The west walkway was filled with information about 60's pop culture in the UK, which had nothing to do with the bridge. Check out my imitation of Twiggy:


So from here, it was 4 o'clock in the afternoon, and we needed "lunch". We went tramping around the area looking for Pod, which is supposed to have cheap curry. By the time we got there, there was none left. However, they had some kind of mineral soup. I figured I might as well eat it at 3.99 pounds. It ended up looking like water from a stagnant lake, but it tasted pretty good. Apparently I got more than 2 servings of vegetables with that small meal, so... yay?

With tired feet, we made our way to Covent Gardens, a central gathering place of street performers, artisan vendors, and shops. It was really neat! I think this may have been my favorite part of the day. We found Food for Thought, a vegetarian restaurant in the area, and I bought vegetable stir fry with rice for 4.80 pounds, and the aforementioned scone for 2.00 pounds. Pretty good, considering the price! I sat down to eat it in the Gardens (By the way, there's no real garden.), next to a group of teenage Spaniards. They began to sing and clap together, dancing their hearts away. It was extremely entertaining, especially when a nearby street magician tried to quiet them down. Here's how they responded:

Here's a closer look at the dancing:


They definitely won that power struggle!

We rode the tube (subway) home. I took advantage of the longer ride by body-mapping my spine and attempting to carry my weight in the center of my body without tipping over and without using muscles to control myself. It was fun! :)

Well, I'm tired, folks. Until tomorrow!

Amy



No comments:

Post a Comment