22 June 2014

London, Day 5

Good evening!

Our London Passes expired today, so were able to slow down our pace. I'm so glad! All of this walking has worn me out...

Today, we walked through lovely green space near Euston. I was very pleased to see a plethora of dogs! It seems as if the British train their dogs very well. All of them walked without a leash and were very well-mannered. Life on a Sunday afternoon seemed to slow down here, as the entire city seemed to leave their offices and enjoy the sunny afternoon. During our walk, we found the Queen's Garden. Thousands of lovely roses were scattered about ponds and waterfalls which teemed with ducks and pigeons. (Ok. I know that pigeons are neither impressive nor romantic, but they were there. I felt they should be included, since they always seem to get a bad rep!)



From here, Dad ate a baguette sandwich, and I ate a gloriously filling Mediterranean salad at a place called My Village Cafe. I have never eaten a salad quite like it: I felt as though the greens were an afterthought, lost under mounds of beans and chickpeas, julienned beets, and sauces that I have never seen before. On the side was pita, hummus, and what I thought would be falafel, but was actually veggie bites of some kind. Very good!

On our way to the tube, we stumbled upon a MASSIVE market. When I say massive, I mean massive. It is called Stables Market and covers multiple blocks. Within the gate, you can find just about any type of product or food. I must admit that I was very overwhelmed, as it was almost as crowded as the market in Nainital, India. Many shops burned incense or some other type of aromatic stick, and there were many types of loud, clashing music-- including a man dressed up as a pirate playing a natural trumpet to attract customers to his restaurant. We are returning tomorrow, when less people will be there.

While in the area, I had to stop at a Vegan Coffeeshop. :) For only 1.9 pounds, I bought a chocolate-filled croissant. Man, am I spoiled in this city!! All of these yummy restaurants sure make going home seem difficult. On the plus side, I think I would gain a lot of weight if lived here... Too many desserts to choose from!


Of course, this is the prelude to a music trip, so Dad and I keep our eyes open for any musical opportunities in the city. (By the way: that pun was intended.) We had the pleasure of attending a free organ recital at Westminster Abbey. The organist is a post-graduate student at the Royal Academy of Music, which was very evident in his skillful playing. 

On the program:

Allegro maestoso                                                                                                                Edward Elgar
from Sonata in G Op. 28                                                                                                         1857-1934

Chorale Prelude on 'Eventide'                                                                                              Hubert Parry
from Seven Chorale Preludes for Organ Set 2                                                                         1848-1918              

Andantino in D flat                                                                                                            Edwin Lemare
                                                                                                                                                 1866-1934

Triumphal March                                                                                                              Alfred Hollins
                                                                                                                                                 1865-1942

I must say: Peter Holder is a fabulous player. I was blown away by his sophisticated and inventive choices of stops. At times, I felt as if an ensemble of instruments was playing, rather than a solo organ. Honestly, I didn't realize the organ could sound so delicate. I am very glad we were able to attend this recital. 

After this, Dad helped a stranger out by taking his picture in front of Big Ben. He didn't really speak English, so I asked him where he was from. Turns out, he's a Spaniard! We talked in Spanish briefly. It felt good to get the Spanish working again. It's been too long!

Now, we're chilling in the room. I am looking forward to tomorrow, for reasons that I shall refrain from disclosing. :) You'll have to tune back in to find out. 

Until tomorrow!
Amy





No comments:

Post a Comment