03 July 2014

Tallinn, Day 3

Tere!

What a day today has been! This morning, I reviewed some of the information provided in the press packet over a breakfast of bread and jam. After reading about important figures involved in the Estonian Song and Dance festival, I was able to formulate interview questions. This festival is getting more real as Saturday approaches!

On the agenda for today were many activities to aid my independent study. But first, we went hunting around for souvenirs! Beware: markets close down fairly early around here because vendors want to spend time with family! Yesterday, we made the mistake of arriving as everyone was packing up. 

I learned of a market outside of Old Town where the locals shop. Surprisingly, it resembled markets in other parts of the world with less expensive secondhand clothes and flea market-type selections. Dad found a Russian trumpet with rotor valves! He might go back and buy it. :) I mean, where else would you find things like that? 

Sorry. It's not a very good picture.

After this, we went to the Estonian Theatre and Music Museum. I got in for €2 with my student ID! (I have received multiple discounts with my ID. When traveling, always carry it with you!) 


Notice the horn!

Hanging from their exterior. 

In this museum, we learned about the history of music in Estonia. They also had a floor of instruments. Most of the pianos were from Germany because the rich people inhabiting Estonia used to be German nobles. However, I learned that there is an Estonian brand of concertpianos called Estonia that is very high quality. 

We saw several interesting folk instruments, including this cello-type instrument, called a bladder fiddle, that is made from an animal bladder:

Also, I heard recordings of very skilled musicians that could be considered somewhat... indiscreet. Many musicians played the leaf! Yes, the thing that falls from trees. I heard a lead concerto accompanied by piano, and I was dumbfounded that a leaf offers such a wide tessitura. Also, they "knocked on their cheeks". You, know, like they do on Barney. It's actually somewhat tuneful!

After this, we rode the bus to the song festival grounds to observe rehearsals. I sat myself on the front row and just soaked it all in. I have a had a dream for a couple of years to come to this festival. I never once dreamed that I would be able to walk as close as I wanted and could take pictures and video, all because of a press pass. This experience is unbelievable!

I wrote observations furiously in a notebook and even conducted three interviews with choir participants. I plan on compiling all of my findings and submitting to present at GMEA. 

Pictures:
Only a small portion of the choir and orchestra (the men's choir).

Long live Estonia!


The grounds (not even counting the grass areas without benches!). Over 150,000 people will be here for the festival. 


At this point, we were famished! We went back to Aed because it was so good! I had a salad with crispy tofu, avocado sauce, and pepita seeds, and Dad had steak with mixed vegetables. 



Dad ate cheesecake for dessert (apparently, one of the best he has ever tasted). I ate roasted pear with rhubarb, berries, and delectable ice cream. It really was an amazing combination of flavors that was obviously the creation of a mastermind. The dessert did not last long enough to pose for pictures. ;)

Then we walked back to the hotel. Some random things you might care about:

Punk bagpipers


Spray painted cockroaches. If they want them that badly, Columbus has enough for both cities!

Today was such a good day! Tomorrow, we get to watch a folk dance performance and the song dress rehearsal. 

Until tomorrow!
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment